Tuesday, June 24, 2008

this is payback, isn't it?

Last week I took a sick day when I probably shouldn't have. Yes, I felt sick (my stomach was giving me all sorts of problems), but probably not *too* sick to work if I had just bitten the bullet and gone in. But NOW, I have this tremendously sore throat, which has succeeded in waking me up in the middle of the night several times, and since it started, on Sunday morning, it has only gotten worse. I caved in and made a doctor's appointment - always a last resort for me - when I read that strep can cause other more serious problems if left untreated. I don't know if it is strep or not, but with my luck, it's some sort of crazy infection, and now I will have to take a sick day because I'm ACTUALLY sick, and I'll have everyone I work with thinking I'm some ninny who stays in bed at the slightest hint of pain or discomfort. Which is SO not true, by the way. I remember a day in high school where I went to school with a fever, and was repeatedly putting on and removing my hoodie all day, depending on whether I was having a hot flash or the chills - all because that was the day I was supposed to find out if I made call-backs for a play I'd auditioned for. Which I had. And I got the part. Though it only had one line. Still, I should have learned that it pays to be tough, and taking "mental health days," unless you really do have poor mental health, only makes you look like a ninny and miss your call-backs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lolz... i don't know who else uses the word 'ninny'...it made me think of He-man cartoons. I think Skeletor calls people 'ninnies'.
In more related news, if you take a day off at MY work, people assume you are interviewing because everyone wants to leave that hellhole.
ONE. MORE. DAY!!!!