Thursday, December 04, 2008

Christmas Heidi style

In these tough economic times, it only makes sense to try to cut back a little bit this Christmas. Luckily, things have been working out pretty well on that front.

First off, my extended family, who get together every Christmas Day, collectively decided not to do the adult grab-bag gift exchange this year. I'm a little sad about this because I actually enjoy Christmas shopping and picking out gifts for people, but then I keep reminding myself that it's saving me about $30. So that's good. As for the kids in that same group, I have never been expected to give them gifts, but most years I try to do a little something for them. It is usually something homemade, or an inexpensive trinket. This year, however, my idea of some personalized candies fell through, so I am making the tough decision to not get them anything. I would bake them some cookies (and still might change my mind), but my Mom has also decided to scale back, and she will be giving the kids either some tasty baked goods or popcorn-ball snowmen. Our Christmas party will be a little bit different this year without the massive gift exchange portion of the night, but I am sure the spirit will be there all the same.

As for my immediate family, I have decided this year to do a photo collage project for each of them (Mom, Dad, brother). The only thing that actually needs to be purchased for these gifts would be the frames, and I ended up getting some inexpensive ones from Target. Score! I am super excited about these gifts especially, because making them is going to be just as much fun as giving them. And that is saying a lot because I am fully expecting tears on Christmas morning.

What about everyone else on my list, you ask?? COOKIES!! The last few years, I have baked about a metric ton of cookies, and this year will be no different. Recession or no recession, cookies are a must-have for me. I think I've decided on 8 different varieties. Some of which are old favorites I've made a thousand times before, some are newer favorites from the past couple years, and some are recipes I've never tried before. My Mom and I are getting together this Saturday for a bake-a-palooza in her kitchen and I could not be more excited. TO BAKE! Yes, you can call me a nerd if you want. I don't mind. :) But chances are, if you know me, you will have the opportunity to try some of my home-baked yummies at some point this Christmas season.

So that is my grand plan for saving a little moolah this holiday season. No mall madness for me. No trendy gadgets, expensive doodads, bingle balls, whofoo fluff, goowho gums, whiffer bloofs, wuzzle wuz, snaffer snoof, dang-donglers, bizilbiz or wums!

No comments: