Wednesday, December 17, 2008

gotta love winter in Chicago

It seems to me that the past tense of the word "snow" should be "snew." Blow -> blew, grow -> grew, so why not snow -> snew?

Anyway, yesterday it snew quite a bit. After work, I left the parking lot at 4:30, and arrived home ... at 9:00. A few minutes after, actually, since I had to park a couple blocks away. It took me 2 1/2 hours just to go the ten miles to the Des Plaines Oasis, where I stopped to grab a slice of pizza and take a little breather. So glad I did, too, because the rest of the way after that was much easier. So if you subtract the half-hour or so that I spent at the Oasis, it took me 4 hours to make a trip that should have taken about an hour. FOUR HOURS!! It's those storms that begin mid-afternoon that really kill ya. The trucks don't have time to get out there and make any headway with the plowing before it's suddenly rush hour and there's nothing they can do anyway. On my way home I saw a grand total of 1 truck on the road ... and it was plowing the shoulder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, 4 hours. What a nightmare. I am happy to say that I did not drive anywhere yesterday, though it cost me a bit of sanity because Dex is CRAZY. I can't wait for spring.

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine - it almost never snows here :-( Even though it did snew a bit a week ago it didn't stay on the ground longer than an hour.