Wednesday, February 15, 2006

It's over, I made it, I survived!

My least favorite holiday has passed without incident. That is a good thing. No, MOMD did not appear suddenly in front of me holding a bouquet of wildflowers and a pound of Jelly Bellies, but at least he didn't show up and stomp on my head either. 'Cause that's kind of what I was expecting.

I spent the day like any other, had lunch in the cafeteria with friends, where Valentine's Day was not mentioned once, went on a mission after work to find the Music Club CD that I need to have listened to 80 billion times before Saturday so I have something intelligent to say about it at the meeting (finally found it after 6 freaking tries!!), and then went out with the girls at night. Though there weren't any guys at the bar that really seemed worth talking to (and apparently none who thought I was worth talking to either), it wasn't a total bust because I got caught up with Jillian etc. and met some other girls who were pretty cool.

Hmm, speaking of the above paragraph, I have a general blogging question for any more experienced bloggers out there who feel like answering. When you mention friends in your blog (or family, or anybody, for that matter), do you generally use their names, or fake names to protect privacy, or the very vague and uninteresting "a friend"? I would never make anything resembling a negative or exploitative comment about any of my friends on my blog, but even so, what is considered proper etiquette? Or is it completely left up to the blogger's preference?

Pondering the universe,
Me

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear friend,
Congratulations on trying out the freeform world that is blogging. Thank you also for enabling non-blogspot folks to actual be able to leave you comments now. The questions you ask about blogging in general seem to indicate that you have some ideas that blogging has some hard-set, concrete rules. You're supposed to be writing this for yourself primarily; everyone and no one could be reading this so you can either put on a show like some people do or write stuff down to get down to the root cause of what occupies your mind. As far as the friend thing goes, I find it to be a bit rude to put actual names on the blog, but that's because I'm paranoid. Feel free to visit kristentatious's blog on what NOT to do. This includes putting a friend's real name, combined with a picture, combined with a known alias. Idiot. Anyways, I've gotten over a bit of internet paranoia, but still feel an acceptable substitute for talking about friends is to use their first initial or something like that.
OK, I have to go for now. Talk to you latre,
Dr. Vortex

Anonymous said...

Honestly, it depends on the friend. Certain people I know have what some psychologists call "internetus paranoidus." << certain individuals we will leave *unnamed,* due to their condition, but I think you can deduct who I mean.

OTOH, I really think that most people I know (from experience) don't care, and, while I don't ever use last names in my blog, I will generally refer to people by first name. I also "lock" all posts that have pictures in them to protect the "true" identities of those who are in them.

If they're people I share an LJ with, I'll often refer to them by the LJ name, like in the case of my friend Joy who came to visit, I'll generally refer to her as "kudzita," because that's her online name. I suppose the same rule could apply on this Blogger site - I'm not really familiar as much with typical Blogger protocol, but I assume it's all fairly similar in nature.

I agree with Dr. V. on the point that if you don't know them well enough to know that they don't want their names used, use an initial only.

Kristi said...

The rule I go by is this: the more you think it's going to piss them off and, in turn, make you happy, the more identifying characteristics you should use.

To anonymous commenter number one: of the four people who read my blog, they all either know you and/or don't give two shits about you. Stay tuned next week, when I reveal your address and last name.

Much Love and Hugs,
Kristi

Anonymous said...

(well, whatdoyouknow? that 'other' works nicer than 'anonymous')
Screw that dude, it's not the documented readers I give a rat's ass about. It's the government and freaking google. Before you know it, they have archived evidence of your deviant thinking and you magically miss some hours out of your day, which you quickly determine were partially spent getting that patch installed on your chest with that pretty orange pharmaceutical cocktail that you're dependent on now.