Thursday, April 06, 2006

What is the world coming to?

What I love about movies:

"The film of tomorrow appears to me as even more personal than an individual and autobiographical novel, like a confession, or a diary. The young filmmakers will express themselves in the first person and will relate what has happened to them. It may be the story of their first love or their most recent; of their political awakening; the story of a trip, a sickness, their military service, their marriage, their last vacation...and it will be enjoyable because it will be true, and new...The film of tomorrow will not be directed by civil servants of the camera, but by artists for whom shooting a film constitutes a wonderful and thrilling adventure. The film of tomorrow will resemble the person who made it, and the number of spectators will be proportional to the number of friends the director has. The film of tomorrow will be an act of love." — François Truffaut, published in Arts magazine, May 1957

What I hate about movies:

Snakes on a Plane (2006)

Directed byDavid R. Ellis
Genre: Horror / Thriller / Action
Tagline: Relax. They're first class fliers.
Plot Outline: On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, lets loose a crate full of deadly snakes. (from IMDB.com)


Note: One redeeming quality of this perfect example of how Hollywood is the devil, is the message board on the bottom of the IMDB page. Specifically, the threads entitled "Dude, Seriously" and "Very Offensive!!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, gotta disagree. I don't understand how the hell 'Snakes on a Plane' has this ridiculous word of mouth notoriety going behind it, but I wanna see that shit. I wanna get some friends, drink some beers, then put some more beers in a backpack and go see the shit outta of that thing while liquored up. Yes, it seems like a most idiotic concept, but at least it's not a remake and at least it's not a romantic comedy. To me, those are among the worst Hollywood things in existence. I find the concept of snakes on a plane more believable and compelling than the hackneyed plot of 95% of the lady movies out there.
I don't read the imdb.com msg boards anymore since they switched to a ridiculous subscription model. I'm too lazy. If you're really bored, you should tell me the benefits of subscribing, besides getting to read comments like, "Samuel Jackson is awwsum!111oneoneone". I bitched about signing up with allmusic.com at first, but I like getting to hear music snippets by the artists...

Heidi said...

1) Though I do enjoy gettin' liquored up and watching ridiculous movies, mostly the gettin' liquored up part, the point of the post was that the movie (or at least the concept) is, in fact, ridiculous.

2) This is only ONE example of what I hate about movies. I would also include (most) remakes, sequels, and the vast majority of romantic comedies.

3) I take offense to your use of the phrase "lady movies."

4) The benefit of the (free) subscription to IMDB is exactly the thing I posted about - getting to read the threads that literally make you laugh out loud (a rarity for me). Also, the mere fact that you have to subscribe tends to weed out the majority of the "Orlando Bloom is hawt!!!11 Plz reply if u think so 2!!" posters. But, in all honesty, I can't remember the initial reason I subscribed, it was so long ago.