Wednesday, April 18, 2007

maybe my last post about moving ... maybe

Two things I was just thinking about:

1) I wish I'd been able to properly thank the random guy from my old building who helped me on move-out day. I had been out picking up the truck, and when I returned, my Dad and my friend told me that they met a guy in the hall who volunteered to help me move my stuff out "because he had nothing better to do." I mean, who does that??!! That is seriously awesome. And he helped SO MUCH! He moved a lot of the heavy stuff, stayed for a beer during our little break in the middle, moved some more stuff, then disappeared back up to his place before I could repay him with the food I'd promised to the rest of my movers. I feel immense gratitude to this guy (I think his name was John), and also some guilt for not being able to repay or really even thank him. So on the off-chance (and unlikely to the point of being near impossible) that he's reading this post, THANKS A MILLION!! :)

2) Maybe I should have been a truck driver. I was initially a bit frightened at the prospect of having to drive the moving truck through the city, around tight corners, down narrow roads, etc., and though I tried to pass the task off to as many other people as I possibly could, when I think back, I was damn good at driving that thing! Case in point, getting it out of the U-Haul parking lot! As my friend N can attest to (she was driving my car behind me), I pulled a beautiful maneuver around a car and another truck during the first two minutes. Yes, perhaps I shouldn't have even tried to pull out in between the cars that were stopped at the light, but a combination of my excellent truck handling skills, and the driver of the car backing up several feet for me to pass, got me through the left-hand-turn with nary a scratch. THEN, the next day, with two passengers with me (always makes me nervous), I managed a tight squeeze down a one-way street that was partially blocked by ANOTHER, BIGGER moving truck. Having navigators helped on that one, but man, did I feel accomplished afterwards.

It really is the little things.

No comments: