Monday, October 27, 2008

ok, I'll play by your rules

Somewhat on the topic of the last post, I wanted to share something that happened JUSTNOW!! I believe I have mentioned previously that I have a very conservative coworker who likes to send out e-mails of questionable validity that perpetuate rumors about Obama, or others involved in his campaign. He never seems to check the truth of these things before blindly sending them on, so whenever I receive one, I go straight to snopes.com to check it out. Normally, I just satisfy myself with the knowledge that whatever his e-mail says is false, and don't forward the snopes link to the coworker. I don't particularly want to open that can of worms. But today, I'd had enough of it. I received an e-mail with an alleged article about Obama's views on the National Anthem that was so over the top, I could not let it slide. So I found it on snopes and sent the link to the 8 or so recipients of the original e-mail, saying "This is not true." The response I got was priceless. My very conservative coworker responded that he'd received an e-mail just a couple of weeks ago saying that snopes was owned by "a rabidly pro-Obama couple" who skewed their research in favor of Obama. And then he forwarded me said article. Now, if you've read enough of these kinds of things, you learn to see the signs that it is false before ever having to look it up. This thing was full of red flags. But again, I did not want to let this slide, so I decided to play a little game. The anti-snopes e-mail listed truthorfiction.com as a better source for verifying the e-mails you receive, so I did a little research of my own, and found this. I sent it out to the recipients of the original e-mail. I haven't gotten a response.

;)

No comments: