Monday, October 27, 2008

I wanted to write about other stuff, but this is what came out

So, in case you've haven't noticed all the strange commercials on TV telling you how evil one person is and how awesome another person is, there's an election going on round these parts. Generally, I'm not a very political person. I care about the issues I care about, but I don't involve myself in the political process other than casting my vote when the time comes. But this election seems different somehow. Maybe it's because the issues I care about are front and center, or maybe I'm just getting older (and wiser?), or perhaps it's because my job security is somewhat dependent upon what party is in office. No wait, that can't be it because I'm voting for the other guy ... but that's a moral dilemma for another day. My point is this: I am worried about the future of my country, and the people who live in it. Therefore I cannot in good conscience vote for McCain. I am voting for Obama because he believes that the same things are important that I do. Health care is important to me because of who I am. Abortion rights are important to me because of who I am. Put simply, Obama represents me. If I was at all undecided about McCain at any point, the decision became much easier for me when he chose Palin as a running mate. Not because of her own family issues (which a surprising number of people have a problem with), but because she personifies the problems that I see in the government. A staunchly Republican friend of mine asked me why I wouldn't vote for the candidate with a female running mate. His reasoning being that I am a woman and wouldn't I want to see a woman in the White House? My response was, what kind of a woman would I be if I voted for someone based solely on gender? Especially someone whose views on abortion show so little respect to those of her own gender? But the closer we get to Election Day, the more confidence I have that Obama will win the Presidency. My most recent bit of good news was hearing that both my middle-of-the-road Mother and historically Republican Father will be voting for Obama this year. I was sitting at the computer at my parents' house the other day, reading an e-mail I'd gotten from the Obama campaign. I jokingly said to my Dad, "Look Dad, Joe Biden sent me an e-mail!" In the ensuing conversation, he asked how I could have become a Democrat, growing up in a Republican household. I said I didn't know, but mentioned that I'd voted for the Democratic Presidential candidate in the last two elections, and will be doing so this year as well. His response: "Why you little ... person!" Yes Dad, I am a little person.

No comments: