Thursday, October 16, 2008

one weird thing, one random thought

Weird Thing

I just got a voice mail on my work phone. It was a recording, in Spanish, that I believe was telling me I'd won some sort of prize. I need to listen again, but I think it said something about pressing numbers on the phone (obviously meant for if the recipient actually answered), and I know I heard the word 'regalo.' Congratulations to my high school Spanish teachers, who have allowed me to translate about 1/20th of a short spammy phone message. Yay!

Random Thought

I have a song in my head. The reason it is in my head is because on Monday I was watching TV (Chuck) and the song was played in the episode. I own that particular CD (The National - Boxer), and hearing it in the show made me want to listen to the CD. Over and over again for 3 days. So the song being stuck in my head is no surprise at all really. But that wasn't my random thought. The thought was that I think I prefer the music featured in TV shows and movies to be unknown to me. That way it stays pleasantly in the background of my consciousness, only to emerge if it is something truly spectacular that I need to be listening to. If I know the song already, my attention is drawn away from what is happening on screen, towards the realm of "OMG, I know that song! Hey, that's So-And-So Band! Cool! I want to sing along! Whee, this is fun! But hmm, that's kind of an odd place to put that song, during this scene here. I always thought the song was about this other thing. Now I totally have to go listen to it again! Maybe I got the lyrics wrong. I could look them up online ... wait ... wasn't I doing something? Oh yeah, TV's on."

No comments: