Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Why does this bother me?

I have had curly hair for my ENTIRE LIFE. Until this week, I have never once successfully straightened it, so no one in existence has ever seen me with straight hair. Today I go to work with stick-straight hair for the first time in my life (yesterday doesn't count because I was kind of a hermit and it was in a ponytail anyway), and NOBODY NOTICES!!!! WHAAAA??

Okay, in all fairness, I shouldn't say nobody noticed. Two people in my department sort of noticed - one who is the most hyper-observant person I know, and one who mentioned in passing that it looked cute. But the people I sit with at lunch almost every single day did NOT NOTICE. Or if they did, they didn't say anything (which I didn't even think about until I just typed it and now it's made me a bit paranoid - does it really look that bad??). I make this gigantic change in my appearance and it does not even register on their radar. What gives?

Plus, I don't think I'm going to straighten it again. It took way too long this morning (freaking WASTE OF TIME I COULD HAVE BEEN SLEEPING), and as cute as I thought it looked during my trial run on Sunday, it was not-so-cute today. Maybe it's because it's winter and super cold and the air is dry, but the straight hair is just lifeless and stringy and very staticky (I added the "k" in there because the word looked funny without it - don't know if it belongs there or not). I basically have no choice but to put the sides up in barrettes for it to look decent, and even then it just looks flat. Curly hair just has more life and bounce - on me anyway.

Or maybe it's just because nobody noticed.

H

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, sometimes people realize there's something different when it's too late. And then you feel like you'd be a jerk saying, "Hey, did you do something to your hair?" so late in the day because you should have said something right away. So then they just don't say anything, figuring it's better to keep their mouth shut than make themselves look like an unobservant idiot. Even though not saying anything has also accomplished that task.

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing your hair straight sometime. You should try doing it one of these weekends. Sometime.

Kristi said...

I would have noticed if your hair was straight!!

I would be interested in seeing it straight sometime too!