Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Survey-Schmurvey

1: Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, find line 4. Write down what it says:

The nearest book isn't numbered normally (1, 2, 3 ... 18, etc.), but if it were, this is what would be on p. 18:
"Description (DID), (DD Form 1664)."
From The Vital Link, a Data Management book. Fun stuff.

2: Stretch your left arm out as far as you can. What do you touch first?

An almost-empty bottle of lotion

3: What is the last thing you watched on TV?

The first few minutes of The Daily Show.

4: WITHOUT LOOKING, guess what time it is:

10:06 a.m.

5: Now look at the clock, what is the actual time?

According to my computer, 10:10 a.m. According to my phone, 10:13 a.m. According to my watch, 10:13 a.m. I guess 10:13 wins.

6: With the exception of the computer, what can you hear?

A bunch of coworkers talking to people and on phones in the surrounding cubicles.

7: When did you last step outside?

Walking into work this morning.

8: Before you came to this website, what did you look at?

An article on Scientology on Wikipedia. Morbid curiosity.

9: What are you wearing?

Brand new khaki pants, a brand new coral colored polo shirt, an old ratty tan sweater, brown boots, and my work badge.

10: Did you dream last night?

Yes siree. I had a dream about a new American Idol contestant named Craig who was a little boy with some serious issues. I was trying to get him kicked off the show for being extremely perverted. Very disturbing dream.

11: When did you last laugh?

Before the Scientology article, I was reading an article on Discordianism. It made me laugh many times.

12: What is on the walls of the room you are in?

I have Herman Miller walls!! :) Let's see, on the walls there is a giant 2006 calendar, a Product Support dept. directory, some Post-Its, my March data submittal schedules, a dry erase board that never gets used because I don't have a marker for it, my CM/DM study group schedule, pictures of family and friends, and a dried flower I received from a coworker last fall. Oh, and my coat hanging on a hook. And a VPP Team button (don't ask).

13: Seen anything weird lately?

Crash won Best Picture. That was pretty weird.

14: What do you think of this quiz?

You know I loves the quizzies.

15: What is the last film you saw?

In the theater - The Chronicles of Narnia. On DVD - I [heart] Huckabees

16: If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy first?

I'd pay off debts, and probably buy a new car. Then I'd make sure my parents were taken care of so they can go ahead and retire already!!

17: Tell me something about you that I don't know:

That who doesn't know? The reader of this survey? Well, that could be anyone. I don't think there's anything about me that NOBODY knows, but something that isn't widely known is that when I was 5 and my little brother was born, I started wetting the bed (jealous of the attention perhaps?). But we're even because when I was 13 and got Sick (capital-S Sick, meaning the Takayasu's Arteritis), my bro started acting like a crazy person. Again, the attention thing.

18: If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do?

Say bye-bye to organized religion. I know this is an unpopular opinion, and I really don't mean to open up a can of worms here. It's just that everyone thinks that their religion is "right" while every other religion is "wrong." This has caused so much discord in the world that I'd like to see what would happen if we just got rid of it altogether. Spirituality, fine. Religion, nuh-uh.

19: Do you like to dance?

I like to dance alone in my apartment when I can be as goofy as I please, but I tend not to like dancing in places where dancing is generally practiced.

20: Imagine your first child is a girl, what do you call her?

Daisy

21: Imagine your first child is a boy, what do you call him?

Roman

22: Would you ever consider living abroad?

Who wouldn't? Not that I've ever actually been abroad ...

23: Will you pass on this survey?

I'm passing it on into the Void, instead of bombarding my friends with another inbox-filler.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I've been meaning to ask this since you mentioned it in another post (or another survey?): Did your coworker give you a dried flower? Or did your coworker give you a flower and it has since dried? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm just imagining, "Here, Heidi, I saw this dead flower and thought of you!"

Heidi said...

Ha ha! No, the coworker did not give me a dead flower (how very Tim Burton of you to think that!). It was a very pretty LIVE purple rose that I dried myself so I could pin it up on the bulletin board thingie in my cube.

Anonymous said...

I know we're in disagreement on this, but I wanted to make a point on the organized religion comment. While I agree that organized religion has caused a lot of problems in the world, I think a LACK of religion (i.e., ORDER) would cause even more problems. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with everything, including religion. While some people can be spiritual and live good lives without attending services weekly and following the direction of an organization, others fall apart when they have no one to give them guidance. Many people thrive on structure. I think that's it's a nice *idea,* but the reality of it is impossible, not to mention unfair to those who appreciate what religion has contributed to them.

I don't think that the majority of people who subscribe to a specific religion are bad and/or cause most of the problems in the world. Mainly, you're dealing with a few extremists who make the whole bunch look like bad apples.

Just my opinion, of course. You know it's hard for me to keep MY big mouth shut.

Heidi said...

And herein lies the big disagreement because I do not think that religion = order. Do most people subscribe to a particular religion because of it's rules? I don't think so. The main draw of a religion (which I DON'T have any problem with) is the spirituality of it. The big-picture-ness of it. The believing that this beautiful world must have been created by a higher power because it's so wonderful that how could it not have been?

I'd like to think (and maybe this is me being naive) that people can know the difference between right and wrong (meaning the big things, i.e. murder is wrong, tolerance is right) without an organization telling them what's what. I think that intrinsically, people know the difference between right and wrong - or at least they will if their parents teach them well. Even schools teach kids that hitting classmates is bad, while sharing your toys with them is good, and they don't bring religion into the equation at all.

I'm not trying to be so anti-religious here, and I definitely don't have a problem with PEOPLE who are religious. I have respect for their beliefs and I try not to interfere with them, as I would hope they would do for me. I've gone through some tough times in my own life and at times, a certain amount of spirituality has helped me along the way. But it was always the very core of the belief system that I identified with, not all of the pomp and circumstance and SIN-SIN-SIN that surrounded it. When you break it down, all religions are very similar, it's just the cultures and circumstances surrounding the creation of the religions that differ.

Maybe what I'm getting at is that there should be a simplification of religions, or a universal religion that teaches the basics of "right" and "wrong," but that idea is just about as far fetched as the idea of getting rid of religion altogether. However, bear in mind that in reality, I do not have the power to implement this change, and this question doesn't say that the answer has to be probable and work in practice (makes me wonder how many people would answer "World Peace" or "Stop Hunger"), it asked what "I" would do, if guilt or politics were not an issue (or something like that), and this is my honest answer. I think that spirituality and religion are two separate things and that the spirituality that people find so attractive about their chosen religion can exist without the organizational aspect of it.

But hey, this is just my fantasy here. :) Love you, Nora!