Friday, September 01, 2006

valuable life lessons

Upon examination of the last year or so of my life, I have come to learn something very valuable that I feel the need to share with my friends.

**Not everyone is going to like you and there's nothing you can do about it.**

People may hate you for no apparent reason. Or they may have a reason that makes no sense to you at all. You can do everything in your power to be friends with these people, to be nice to them, to put aside any differences you might have and peacefully coexist. But sometimes even the best intentions will make no difference at all. Occasionally, you will come across (and I mean you WILL come across, not you MAY come across) a person who has decided for one reason or another that you are not a person with whom they get along. Or you will come across a vindictive person who has decided to never forgive you for some indiscretion. Or you will come across one of those most difficult creatures who by all outward appearances seems to get along with you, but when it comes right down to it, hates your guts.

This was a hard lesson for me to learn. Maybe because I'm a Libra and I value balance and harmony, or maybe just because I'm a nice person. But I always thought that with a little bit of caring, and maybe a candid discussion or two, any differences between two rational people could be worked out.

I'm here to tell you that this is not the case. Not everyone is all that rational.

But don't let this get to you. The other half of this life lesson is that you have to be satisfied with knowing that you did everything in your power to create a peaceful relationship with this person. Once you've done that, and things still haven't changed, then the problem is obviously theirs, and not yours. That act of being satisfied with yourself is the trick to getting to sleep at night. At some point you have to say to yourself that this person is not worth all this trouble you've gone to because they haven't shown you the same respect that you've shown them. At some point you just have to say, "I don't care anymore."

It may be a hard thing to do (it was a definite hurdle for me), but it's necessary to live a happy life. Believe you me! :)

No comments: