Thursday, March 15, 2007

one woman's treasure

Packing for this move has been interesting. Well, actually, I haven't done all that much yet, which scares me because it's happening in just over two weeks! Yikes! But anyway, the packing I HAVE done has been interesting. Last night, I went through this box of junk that had been sitting in the corner of my bedroom, untouched, since I moved in two years ago. I figured I'd be able to go through it and throw away most of it since I obviously hadn't needed it at all in two years. I was wrong. I ended up finding some precious treasures that I just had to hold on to. For example, I found a 15-page letter that I wrote to someone and never sent. I found the beginning of a story I'd begun to write, along with various scraps of paper with notes written on them (this was a story that I actually still believe in after all this time - unusual for me). I found many many many ideas I'd written down for stories and/or movies. I found a folder full of resumes and cover letters I'd sent out for jobs I didn't get. I found all my old Chicago film directories with notes and papers stuck in at random places. I found a folder full of memorabilia from my theatre days. I found a notebook that contained notes on the NewsMags I created for StarCourse in college, as well as a page of notes I'd taken about a cast conversation while I was subbing for a director on "The Real World" (both in the same notebook). And I actually found some things I'd been looking for, like information on my renter's insurance policy.

I spent two hours last night looking through a box of crap that I thought I'd just be able to throw away, and I actually had fun doing it. It was cool. However, if I keep it up, this packing thing is going to take forever!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Remember those crazy stories we used to write in high school? I want to read another one of those!!