Friday, April 06, 2007

bloggity bloo

I know I haven't written in a while, but I guarantee you I am alive. At the moment. And I have moved!! Yay!! I am currently living amongst a mess of boxes and bags, the contents of which are unknown and somewhat frightening to me. I am afraid of my own stuff. But I am learning to face my fears and little by little, things are falling into place. Well, they're not so much falling as I am putting them there. I moved in on Sunday, and did just the bare minimum on that day so that I could have a place to sleep and shower and make it to work in one piece on Monday. Then after work Monday, I made the very exciting trip to Target to get all the cleaning supplies and other essentials that I did not have so that I would feel a bit more confident in the cleanliness of the new place. I attempted to restrict myself to the bare-bones list I had made so that I did not go crazy in Le Tar-gee like I usually do and end up with $400 worth of stuff I have no room for, and aside from a couple unplanned baking pan and cutting board purchases, I did pretty well. Go me. So I was able to go home after that and clean the floors, the one thing that had been bothering me since I set foot inside the place. You know, supposedly they clean apartments between tenants, but who really knows how good a job they do? To me, it felt dirty, so I cleaned it. And that's pretty much all I had the energy to do on that day. Tuesday, I decided to tackle the kitchen, and DID I EVER! I have never in my life seen cabinets in such a state of disgustingness. They were ... well ... greasy. And gross. But now they're clean and sparkly!! Yay! On Wednesday, I slept. Seriously. I got home around 4:30, collapsed on my bed for two hours, got up to watch some TV and eat a little somethin', then went to bed. It was glorious. Yesterday, I regained a bit of my motivation and got my kitchen organized. As in, I PUT STUFF IN THE CABINETS. This was such a huge turning point for me, you have no idea! I've been feeling overwhelmed by the amount of closet space I have in this new place (not so much kitchen cabinet space, but whatever), and yet, I've been afraid to put things in those closets! I mean, what if I choose the wrong things? What if I choose the wrong closets for those things? What if I put something short in a tall space, and then don't have room for something tall in a short space? WHAT IF I DO IT WRONG??!! And then I got it. There is no wrong answer. This is MY apartment, I can put things where ever I want! And ... ummm ... move them if I do it wrong. :) But seriously, actually emptying boxes and getting rid of some of the clutter I've been living with was one of the best feelings in the world. And seeing my own things in my new kitchen felt pretty damn good too.

So my job for tonight and the rest of the weekend is to continue with my unpacking bonanza, and get things in order in the bedroom and the living room. I still have a few pieces of furniture I need to purchase in order to make this completely possible (like a shelving unit for the bathroom, and microwave cart and/or bakers rack for the kitchen), but I'm gradually starting to see things come together, which makes me happy. Tomorrow I have to go to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get a shower gift for a friend of mine who is getting married this summer, and I have the tiniest feeling (meaning a MASSIVE feeling) that I am going to come home with some of that "Beyond" for myself. AND THEN??!! First grocery shopping trip for the new apartment!! Oh joyous day!! :)

No comments: