Tuesday, September 11, 2007

new car and stuff

In case you didn't get my very excited text this weekend, I bought a new car! It's not new-new, but it's new to me. A 2005 Suzuki Reno hatchback, and it's orange. Yes, orange. I saw it on Carmax.com, fell in love, and went straight away to buy it. It's the only time in my life I haven't been waffly about buying a new car, so I decided I'd best jump on it and get it before I began to doubt myself. And so far, I'm glad I did. Aside from a few minor details (speakers are iffy; it's got buttons on the steering wheel to control the radio, which just get in my way; not sure about the gas mileage) I like it a lot. It's quiet. It's a manual and it handles pretty similar to my old Civic, so it's easy (for me) to drive. It's orange. It doesn't make funny noises. It has 4 doors. It's orange. The windshield wipers work properly without the lever being tied to my I-Pass (don't ask). It's got a CD player. It's orange. It has power steering, locks and windows. Did I mention it's orange? If you hadn't guessed, that's my favorite feature. I was insistent upon getting a car in a bright color because of a bad prior experience in a white car. I totalled my old Metro in 2001 when an enormous Caddy pulled out in front of me because he didn't see me. And I am convinced that he didn't see me because my car was white and blended in (relatively speaking) to the overcast white sky behind me. An orange car (or a red one, like my Civic) is a lot harder to miss.

So yeah. I like it.

Now I am thinking about all these other changes I want to make. I need to get my hair cut, and I am going to color it as well, to cover all the nasty grays that this job has given me. Hee. Any color suggestions? I'd consider purple if it weren't for the very conservative nature of my workplace. Also, when my lease is up, I don't think I'm going to renew. I like the neighborhood I'm in, but I have grown quite disillusioned with the apartment itself. The longer I live there, the more I feel like it's a crap hole. I don't want to live in a crap hole. Would you? Lastly (and this is slightly irrelevant, but I wanted to mention it anyway), I have joined Facebook after I received an invitation from a friend, and I'm kind of enjoying it! Maybe even more than MySpace! That may be in part due to the fact that it's not blocked at work, whereas MySpace is. I expected to find most of the same people who I've found on MySpace, since the people who are interested in those sorts of sites tend to overlap. But I have been pleasantly surprised to find a LOT of other different people! People who I am very happy to reconnect with. People who I wouldn't expect to be on Facebook, but I'm sure glad they are. And lastly (okay, the last "lastly" was a bit premature), I am really looking forward to my high school reunion.

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I love your text messages because you aren't in my contacts list so it's like getting anonymous happyisms. Also, you should move into one of the smaller sized one beds in our building so when I get one of these messages I can pound on the wall to acknowledge it....

Kristi said...

Remember playing trivial persuit in college, when pink became PANK! and orange became or-aing-ee? That's how I like to imagine you are pronouncing the color of your car. Also, who's on facebook? Anyone interesting? I just created an account a few days ago (to stalk someone...not you...am I covering my trail well enough?), but to be quite honest, I didn't really get it. I hardly had any time to dedicate to trying to figure it out, but it's also possible that I'm facebook retarded. I don't know...it wasn't cooperating with me. Anyway. I'm getting so old. Maybe I should just give up the fancy new fangled devices like computers and go back to knitting. I'd probably accidentally poke my eyes out with the needles, though. OK, enough rambling. I need to go to bed now!